Wednesday, August 13, 2014

WIP Wednesday

I decided it was finally time to bust out some scrap jar star blocks that I received in a Flickr swap last year.  I asked for a rainbow of colors because, who doesn't love a rainbow?  Playing around with blocks on the design wall led me to put them on point and see what happened.  I like it! 

 
I'm making a few more purple blocks to put in the corners so the overall design is a cool toned X with warm toned fillers.  I'm debating between making this borderless and chopping off part of the scrap jar stars or adding white setting triangles so keep the integrity of the blocks.  I'll probably end up adding the white, just because I can't bear to cut them down! 

In other news, I'm sewing my extra purple blocks on my new 1941 Singer 221 Featherweight, Ethel.  Isn't she darling?  If you haven't sewn with one, they make the cutest little click clack noise while you're sewing away!

5 comments:

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

Those stars from the swap all go together so well! I agree with adding white triangle and not sacrificing any stars. I am drawn to star patterns and I especially like the checkerboard interior of these.

Jennie said...

I love the secondary pattern you get with those stars - beautiful!

Hilary said...

Those stars are such a cool block. I've never seen it before. I love your Featherweight machine! I have a singer 201 that I am dying to sew on, but she is in desperate need of a tune-up first.

Rebecca Grace said...

Congratulations on your new-to-you Featherweight! I have a 1935 and a 1951... they can be addictive! :-) Your star blocks look fantastic! Can I suggest that you experiment with other options for the setting triangles rather than just plain white? You could piece the triangles, or maybe a print, or maybe set off those stars with gray or black setting triangles... Just a thought. White would be lovely, too, but sometimes when I dig through my stash and start experimenting with different things I come up with something that I love that is completely different from what I originally planned. Plus it's fun to make a big mess in the sewing room (not so much fun to clean it up afterwards!).

CapitolaQuilter said...

Great swap block. They would look great floating with an asymmetrical layout and not only the white setting triangle but a varied amount of additional white on two sides too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...