Sunday, July 25, 2010

Vanity Mirror Turned Fireplace Screen

I'm not really sure how this idea popped in my head, but last weekend I decided to turn this vanity mirror I bought for a quarter at a garage sale into a fireplace screen.  My fireplace is a little blah so I thought this would do wonders at sprucing it up.  Plus, it's probably the cheapest project I've ever done.






The trifold mirror was 25 cents because one of the pins was broken, so I stuck a nail in it and viola! fixed (duh).  The fabric was on clearance at Joann's and since I heart houndstooth, I had to have it for $4 for almost 2 yards.  I used Elmer's spray adhesive which is about $4.


First, I made a paper pattern of the mirror pieces by tracing along the trim.  Then I cut out the fabric and messed it up by first making two of one side.  Oops!  (There are a lot of oopses when I craft).  


















Next, I took it outside.  That spray glue reeks!  I chose the temporary tacky option since I may change it someday.  So you spray both surfaces and wait 5 min before you put them together.  







Rub out the bubbles and trim up any excess.  There ya have it - a shabby chic fireplace screen! 





2 comments:

Lauren @ 31diy said...

Wow, that's such a great idea! I've been trying to figure out what to do with my fireplace, but it never occurred to me that I could incorporate fabric into the screen. Perfect! This opens up a whole new world of opportunities.

Yours turned out so great! I love it!

I can't wait to see your other projects. I'm following. :)

Lauren
http://31diy.blogspot.com

Emily said...

Thanks so much for the nice comments Lauren! I had too many mirrors, so this worked for me. I checked out your blog and love your ideas. I'm following you too now :D

I don't know if you're a sewer, but I'm working on a tutorial for a flat iron or curling iron cover. It should be up soon(ish)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...