List a few of your favorite quilting notions.
- I don't feel like I use that many notions when I'm sewing. Pins? No. Fancy rulers? No. No. I do pin baste my quilts together and I love using the Kwik Klip to save my fingers some stress.
|image from JoAnn fabrics|
Any advice for a successful color scheme of a quilt ?
- I'm still branching out into creating my own color schemes. I used to exclusively use Moda Precuts because they are a fast and easy way to get a variety of fabrics that coordinate beautifully. Now after making many quilts with the precuts, I've started experimenting with my own color palettes. Sometimes it works, sometimes I don't love the results, but now I know for next time!
Pinterest is great for color inspiration too. Lots of quilters I follow have a color palette board that I pin my favorites here. Design Seeds is a great website that uses a photo to create a color palette for you. I could spend all day on their site!
|Image from Design Seeds|
Some thoughts about thread and needles, batting, fabrics ?
- I usually use Gutterman 100% cotton thread for all aspects of my projects. I also usually use Warm and White quilt batting.
Never underestimate the importance of a fresh, sharp needle! I gave myself quite the headache on my Weekender Bag and all I really needed to do was change my needle...
Tips for easy piecing
- I rarely pin things together when I'm piecing, so it's very important to me that all of my pieces are cut the proper size. Measure twice, cut once! Depending on what I'm working on, I may press seams towards the dark side so they nestle together well and I don't have to pin things together, or I press seams open to reduce bulk if I have a lot of seams coming together at one point.
If you enjoy other quilt techniques than patchwork, could you share some tips with us ?
- When making my Weekender Bag, I tried quilt as you go, and definitely think I'll be making more projects this way! It was fast, fun, and a great way to use small scraps.
Do you have free tutorials on your blog? Share the link.
- I have a tutorial for a flat iron cover here.
The sewing machine - share a few things you love at your sewing machine; what makes it special? What features do you think are the most important to a sewing machine used for quilting?
- I use a Bernina 440 with the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) for free motion quilting. I love it! My stitch length is very consistent when FMQ and it makes my work look a lot better. That's Carlton. He's a lot bigger now and probably wouldn't fit...