Wednesday, February 19, 2014

MQG Riley Blake Challenge Finish!

As a member of the Austin MQG, I am now a proud member of the Modern Quilt Guild too.  They have fun things for members like Sew Downs and fabric challenges.  The most recent fabric challenge is wrapping up and winners will be announced soon! 

Members were given a fat eighth bundle of Riley Blake fabrics - a few prints and solids too.  We could make anything we wanted as long as it was quilted (and modern - however you want to interpret that).   We could add any Riley Blake prints and any brand of solids to make the project our own.  So little guidance!  I just stared at my bundle for quite some time before inspiration hit.

 Here's my entry, inspired by my boyfriend.  We go to the movie theater for classic movies on Wednesday nights.  My eyes have been opened to various beloved movies that I'd missed out on as a kid for some reason - Big, Fast Times at Ridgemont High (I couldn't believe that was Sean Penn!!), Groundhogs Day...  You know before the movie starts, there's usually a silence your cell phone ad?  This was when we were first introduced to the Geico camel commercial.  The first time we saw it, we both laughed our heads off and played it for all of our co-workers.  The second, third, fourth time we saw it, we were still laughing our heads off.  

One night after the movie, I determined to sit down and work on the Riley Blake challenge.  My mind wandered to the camel, and then just for fun I sketched out a camel applique quilt, adding the fun saying at the bottom.  I showed the sketch to my boyfriend, who almost fell out of his chair with hysterical laughter.  The crazy piecing caused me some fits at times, but I'm so pleased with how it turned out.  I quilted using a scalloped loop to enhance the hump theme :) Once I get a hanging sleeve on this puppy, it's headed to the wall at my boyfriend's office.


Did you participate in the Riley Blake challenge?  We had so many good ones at our Austin MQG meeting last week.  Check out our link up for that here!

10 comments:

Kat said...

Awesome! I love it!

Shauna said...

That is simply awesome!!!!!! Love it!!!!

Caroline said...

What a fun idea! Love how it turned out:)

Sarah @ mila+cuatro said...

Fantastic! It looks great.

suemac said...

Love it.

mrs.hands said...

This camel is epic! :D

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

That commercial is to the point of driving me crazy, but I love this quilt.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Very fun idea and a very crazy camel.

Hilary said...

haha that is so awesome!

Sabrina said...

This quilt is so hilarious and wonderful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...