Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Now here's a creative solution

The box for Francine (aka my new Bernina sewing machine) has been sitting around my living room for the past two months because I simply have nowhere to store it.  I also happen to be short on furniture, so I had a genius idea - turn the box into an ottoman!  


huge Bernina box - where to put it??




I had a tutorial for a cute ottoman cover saved in my bookmarks list.  I think the cover came out great.  It's kind of high for an ottoman, but it works.  I used 2" thick craft foam for padding on the top of the box.  After a few 'oops' and garbled swear words under my breath, I finally finished it!  I'm not 100% in love with the print, but I'm fine enough with it that I don't want to start all over.  


Foam layer on top




finished ottoman from the side


The tutorial I used is from Sew4Home and can be found here.  If you decide to make it, I'd carefully measure your ottoman and decide how much fabric you really need.  I bought 2 1/2 yards of canvas, which is not cheap btw, and only used about half of it.  Also be sure to cut out pieces with your measurements!  I wasted a ton of the print because I used the printed measurements, instead of (duh) inserting my own.  Grr...this turned out to be more expensive than expected because I can't add/measure/cut.


finished ottoman from the top

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...