Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thrift Store Review: Unique in Chicago, IL

Ta da!  Thrift Store Review #1 will feature Unique Thrift Store in Chicago, specifically on 31st & Halstead in Bridgeport.  Let me start by telling you, I saved the best for first!  This place is one of the things I'll miss most when I move away from Chicago.

So at first glance, the store isn't that welcoming.  The first time I went, I was accosted by a man selling "tamales, tamales, DVDs, tamales!"  I was a bit skeptical at first, but my friend Candace insisted we forge ahead.  I've never looked back!    Right past the door on the left is where they keep the designer purses behind a desk.  I'm not convinced all the purses are genuine, but some are and you just have to inspect them carefully.  They also have jewelry, DVDs, computer games, and other stuff right past this counter.  They have a wide selection of baby & kids' clothes, toys & games, craft supplies, housewares, dishes and other kitchen items, men's clothes, shoes for everyone, books, furniture, lighting, linens, and my favorite section - women's clothes.

The racks are extremely well organized by sections - skirts, pants, suits, long sleeve knit shirts, short sleeve knit shirts, long sleeve sweaters, etc etc.  Then they're arranged by color too!  In the middle of the store there's a lot of purses too.  I could spend a couple hours searching through everything to find my great deals.

If you have the chance, go on a Monday, which is half price day.  Everything is half the price of the tag that's been stapled (yes, stapled) onto the item.  This location opens at 6 am on Mondays too, so you have no excuse not to go!

Some of my favorite finds: 100% cashmere J Crew cable knit sweater $4; black leather Coach purse $7; numerous Ann Taylor skirts for around $3 each; tons of cashmere sweaters that I use in crafts (be watching for this later); etc...  How awesome does this place sound?  Love it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...