Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sometimes a deal doesn't save you money...

I needed a desk for the sewing machine and I've been cruising around CL (craigslist) for one over the past several weeks.  Yesterday I thought I struck gold again with a "like new white desk, we think it's Pottery Barn, only $50" ad.  As soon as I saw it, I replied and met the man after work.  He showed me the desk which was filthy and looked like it had been setting in his garage for decades.  I offered $40, and he said no because he's had a lot of responses on it.  I really doubted it was actually a Pottery Barn desk because it was kind of flimsy.  Exasperated that I had driven so far to look at it, I yielded and paid $50.  As soon as we picked it up to load it, I could tell it wasn't that sturdy!  I was scared it would break on it's way in my door, and even worse, that my sewing machine would be too heavy for it!  Ugh...why do I do this to myself?  After I got it in my house, I washed it down only to discover the grime won't come off!  ARGGHHH now I have to paint it :(  On the bright side, I'm thinking of painting it a nice sage green or possibly robin's egg blue.  Ooo maybe I'll match the green in my favorite houndstooth fabric!  That'll tie everything together nicely  :)






On the flip side, I went to the nearby thrift store last week and scored a queen size pleated bed skirt for $1!!  It's an adorable green check that magically happens to match my comforter.  Now this is an amazing deal because I've been wanting a bed skirt for ages!  The same one isn't available right now, but the others run around $80 plus. 


I guess what I saved in the bedskirt, I paid for the desk.  I guess the moral of the story is, if you have any doubts about it, don't buy it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...