Friday, September 13, 2013

Finally, A Finished Quilt!

I can't believe how much I'm slacking in the finishing department this year.  I chalk it up to no longer being in a long distance relationship (because he's here now!), my brother moving in with me, and having a more active social life in Austin!  Whatever the reason, a finish still feels awesome.  Especially since this one turned out craze-amaze, to quote the annoying girl in the Jack in the Box commercial.  I'm so excited to mark something off my 2013 Finish Along list!



The fabric is mostly Sew Cherry by Lori Holt and the pattern is jelly roll friendly Over and Under from the book Scrap Basket Sensations.  I've been more adventurous in my FMQ lately and decided the negative space needed some giant mums and the prints would pack a punch with a back and forth loop that creates some movement.  By the time I went through eleventy billion bobbins, I decided that I was tired and just meandered the outermost border.  




For the backing, I used a Martha Stewart sheet from the thrift store.  Unfortunately after I started the giant flowers, I noticed there was a little pilling on the sheet which was supposed to be 100% cotton.  What??  Oh man.  I kept going even though I felt like it was pointless.  After I took it out of the dryer though, you can hardly tell, so maybe I'll be able to list it in my shop after all.  What would you do?  I wasn't planning to keep it, I spent too much time to just give it away, but wouldn't I feel guilty selling it??



Another exciting thing about this quilt is that it actually has a label!  I'd had my eye on some different labels on Etsy when Julie at 627Handworks posted a discount code for the labels from the shop ikaprint.  My labels are so awesome and came all the way from Paris - oo la la!  I can't wait to slap these labels on everything.  
 



5 comments:

Lorna McMahon said...

Whoop, Whoop! Excellent job, Emily! Such a bright, cheery quilt!

Hope you don't mind if I share this, with a link back, on my facebook page at http://facebook.com/sewfreshquilts

Elise Lea said...

Beautiful finish! Sometimes I think quilting and blogging can be like that - it can go in spurts. Sometimes we have the time and energy to finish all sorts of projects, and sometimes we have other priorities and demands in our lives.

Great job for checking something off your list! Keep going!

Janet @ Simply Pieced said...

This is a beautiful finish! Don't put too much pressure on making a tone of finishes. It will burn you out...at least that happens to me.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

oh, this quilt is beautiful! the bright happy colors and the pattern are just perfect!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Unknown said...

I love the negative space in your quilt. The white stars really POP! Great labels, too. Have a great weekend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...